I think trying to keep my living room straightened up is going to be my full-time job. Maybe it will be easier when I'm running around less, but as every day it seems like I bring something else into the house - today, BOOKS. Yeah . . . I'm beginng to suspect that $800 / year figure was complete bullshit. On the other hand, Some of these books may be books that I'll use next semester too; a couple of the courses are essentially full year, I believe.
But man are they HEAVY!!!! On the other hand I have some impressive leather bound (textbooks!) on my shelves with names like "Constitutional Law" and "Civil Procedure", so I can feel all cool. But even having bought the books, I'm not sure it's sunk in yet that I'm really going to be studying these subjects. I'm feeling incredibly blase about this whole law school thing. It reminds me of when I went to take the LSAT. Everyone was waiting on the lawn to be let into the testing building, and I remember overhearing snippets of very excited / tense / worked up conversations, and people bragging about how long they had studied, and I had studied for exactly one week. Not even hard core. Just a couple hours a day, you know? And I didn't care that much what score I got because I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to law school. And I scored in the 98th percentile.
I'm not suggesting that I'm going to be in the top of my law school class w/o working - or even the top WITH working. Certainly not - the LSAT tested general reasoning skills, whereas I have to know specific stuff for lawschool classes. Nor am I totally relaxed and all "cool dude, whatever". But law school is like anything and everything else I've ever done. It's a task, a challenge to be overcome, a step on the road. I am actually looking forward to the intellectual challenge, so please don't think I'm being negative here. And I don't think it's over-confidence, either. I can easily crash and burn, just like anyone else.
Maybe it's preparedness. Which is weird, because when I talk to other students I feel unprepared because I haven't memorized our course schedule for the first year or read up on the pros / cons of all the different supplements or studied the faculty yearbook to know my professors on sight. (Okay nobody has told me they did that - yet.) But I'm prepared to be challenged, tested, stretched, and stressed. (And I'm sure I'll be quite stretched and stressed.) It's happened before, it will probably happen again, and this is what I do: I meet challenges.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment