Well all in all, I'm in a much more upbeat mood than I was last Wednesday.
I dodged my first cold call by volunteering instead. In lawyering Friday I had a number of questions and thoughts on the hypothetical we were discussing at the start of class, so I was quite active in the class discussion. When we got around to the actual case at the end of class, Dole said "Cecelia - well you're off the hook. I had you down for this case, but you've been raising your hand all class, so we'll go on to someone else" and he called on my friend Joanne instead.
*sigh* now if I could just get out of being cold called in Summers class . . . I actually think the old guy is pretty funny, but that's probably just because I haven't been subjected to his questioning yet. It will probably be a hell of a lot less funny when he's making jabs at *me*! Somehow though it doesn't come across as mean-spirited to me though; more like he's just fiesty.
Yeah. Anyway. So classes are continuing, and I'm managing to have a life, too. El, her mom and I went to an opening at the Johnson on Thursday, which was not surprisingly crowded with people wanting the free food. Then Janine, Joanne and I went out for pizza and beers; we'd all had a pretty rough week, but Janine especially, who is majorly sleep-deprived trying to keep up with the demands of being both a TA and a research assistant, as well as handling classes *and* her research for her masters thesis. Yikes!!! Janine and Joanne seemed to hit it off pretty well though; they both have a strong attachement to NYC, for one thing.
Law school has the potential to be a very lonely endeveaor; people are friendly in class but have mostly been disappearing to the library every spare second they have this first week rather than hanging around chatting. I was thinking how different it was from undergrad, when everyone was eagerly on the look out for friends and romantic entanglements. A lot of people have significant others already though when they come to law school, which means there's less of this whole "everyone scoping out everyone else" thing going on. Kind of nice - it mostly erases the whole "trying to impress the opposite sex" pressure and lets you relate to people just as people. Still, all in all, while social relationships are forming, it seems like they are being cultivated more carefully since nobody has time to waste on people they really don't like. But I've had 5 or 6 days of small section classes - with the same small section of people every day - and I still barely know 1/3 of their names. (And I'm usually decent w/ remembering names.)
Thursday was all around a good social day though. I sat out in the courtyard on Thursday and another 1L acquaintance of mine came up to chat. She's one of the OWLS (older and wiser law students) and was commenting on how anti-social everyone was . . . she pointed out how everyone in the courtyard picked a spot where no one else was. It was true, too. So we sort of broke the norm. As we chatted another girl from our section sat a little ways away from us; I caught her eye and motioned her to join us, and then later another acquaintance of mine from another section sat a little ways away, and on my invitation he came over and joined as well, so that we had a whole lunch party going for the "people who bring their lunch" crowd.
Yeah, yeah, it's not shocking anybody reading this blog that I'm being Miss Social organizer, I know! It's nice to know I've still got the skills though, after my two year exile in hostile territory! ;-) Low key, under the radar social connections . . . that's my specialty. The closest I'm going to get to throwing a party is my girls night IN which will hopefully become a semi-weekly occurrence . . . margaritas perhaps next time? Or maybe the Ithaca Apricot Wheat beer . . . I discovered it at the Nines, and Janine, Joanne and I all really liked it.
So yeah, despite the horror that is Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I'm still managing to have a life.
And yes, I am keeping up with my class work, thank you very much. And even getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night! I'd say that's pretty good for the first week of law school!
Sunday, September 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment